The pines made me think of driving to my old job. There used to be this little forested area next to my work, with some brush and tall pines, where little groups of kids used to... hang out...before school. Anyway. I used to park near it and get out of my car and linger to smell the sweet air, look at the new sun through the trees, admire the birdsong... and I always used to be struck with a desire to make a break for it.
Just forge out into the Wild and see how long it took before anyone started looking for me. Eat my lunch under a tree and just take my chances out there, because anything seemed better than the jungle I was about to enter, another tedious nerve-splitting 9 hours on the job... The urge was so strong.
Nowadays I walk to work and I wonder why the beauty no longer has that effect on me. I no longer desire to duck under the nearest copse and make a break for it. Sometimes I think it's because I get my walking needs met and get enough nature on my way to work.
Or possibly it's just too cold.
Today, though, I'm pretty sure the reason I no longer want to run away into peace and beauty is this: I already did. I did that last August. Here I am.
I look forward to setting foot out my door in the morning AND to getting to work.
What part of this is not beautiful?
In other news, Miles has learned to work a jack-in-the-box all by himself.
And he has a new hat.
Here's to a beautiful life.
No comments:
Post a Comment