I'd been hearing reports of potentially record-breaking amounts of snow for days, but as is my wont, I dismissed them. For one thing, I've found weather-reporters are obliged to speak in worst-case scenarios to cover their butts. For another, it seems the more a storm is discussed, the less likely it is to close anything (except the public schools around here, which close for anything that resembles winter).
When it began, it was a gentle, meek little snowglobe experience.
This is how it looked by evening:
In the morning, we were getting our winter gear on for a bit of a snow frolic when we got word: Virginia Tech was cancelling classes, for only (according to Jon) the 9th snow day in their history. Needless to say, it's the first snow day I've experienced since moving here in 2010. Needless to say, we whooped and hollered and celebrated a fair amount!
| Adele wants to know what happened to her sidewalk. |
We started with just a wander and a marvel....
...and moved on to sledding! I got to use the sled again, everyone!!This snowstorm shall be remembered as the first time Adele ever ASKED to go sledding. She now actively likes snow-based pursuits, not merely tolerating them with big eyes as in the past.
Our first successful run after Adele asked to go:
And, once again with Papa!:
| Miles had a bit of trouble keeping his balance, sometimes. |
We left the sled at home and took a walk to Kroger. I still had it in my head that Adele might have daycare the next day (I know, I know. The denial is strong in me) and would need her Valentines. Plus, Jon had some food ambitions. Bless Jon and his food ambitions.
So on the way to Kroger,
We watched mail trucks out and about. Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stayed these couriers. We watched the driver of this one help someone get their car out.
This is one of two people we saw on skis, travelling much more efficiently than anyone else that day!
If you can't tell, the snow was still falling at a great rate. This was mid-day.
What's to love about snow?
...I mean, just look at it!
| He could walk in it-- barely. |
Friday surprised us by being Virginia Tech's 10th snow day in history!
We enjoyed another great mix of outdoor play and indoor coziness. There was hot chocolate complete with tiny marshmallows. The kids watched Bambi. We lingered over meals. Joy.
This was very high quality snow for building.
We made this snow man with almost no effort at all. Just push the snow; it rolled itself up into balls.
Inside, I got to do something I don't usually get to experience with my kids: holiday themed crafts.
They just did some free expression on cardboard hearts, but still. Usually they'd be doing this at daycare. I was so pleased for the chance to be with them for a four day weekend in the middle of the semester.
| Notice the Tongue of Concentration |
And then it was Saturday. We took a ride. partly because we needed to get the car out anyway...
| There was an impressive amount of completed and in-progress snow constructions on campus. |
Still. Beauty. My hopes for winter have been thoroughly answered.
And we didn't even lose power!

Whenever I point out Miles in these pictures, August frowns and says, "Nooooooo. Now, August." To say he is living vicariously would be an understatement.
ReplyDelete