I've been taking pictures of my walk to work since I moved here in 2010. Lee Street was so sleepy sweet and pretty in the morning, and it was a daily source of joy to walk to the bus stop, or through downtown to campus. I remember the fresh joy of going from my commute to my teaching job, 30 minutes in stop and go traffic, my stomach churning with stress, to my new "commute," walking down a sleepy street, sunlight lighting up the trees and grass, catching sight of grazing horses in the distance. I was so happy, that first year. I still am, but the contrast was so great in that first year that it stands out in my memory.
Then we moved to the condo, and while I was still happy and still enjoyed occasionally taking the bus to work, the second year I was mostly a driver. I still defied death and a traffic ticket to take pictures of the view, but it is still a less delightful thing to me to be shut up in a car.
Now we have moved, and now Adele is out of daycare and into Papa's charge, and now
I have my commute back.
| Goodbye for the day, blessed Pirate House! |
And I'm off at a walk.
It's a 7 minute walk to the bus stop. I can sometimes make it in 4-5 if I'm fleet. Today I stretched it to 10. It was just so lovely...
It's a busy road I walk on, but the fields and yards are empty and dew-filled.
| The mountains just keep a person company. |
I wish everyone could have my commute.
Yea, though I walk over the bridge over route 460...
It's still gorgeous!
| And look: my route still includes grazing horses. |
| I'm gonna get as much of you as I can, Sol dear. |
| As I approach the bus stop, I can see the distant sports stadia. Empty now, but it won't be long.... |
| Wildflowers to look at while I wait. |
![]() |
| I made the bus just fine. I was the first one on. |
Ask me again in January, though.

No comments:
Post a Comment