We took the scenic way, route 31 through Palmyra (the birthplace of the Mormon church!) and then route 96 through Waterloo (birthplace of, ready? Memorial Day. *shrug*).
In Palmyra, there is a corner with four churches, one Episcopal, one Presbyterian, one Methodist, and one Lutheran. So who says religion is dead in the Northeast? :-)
Just another adorable WNYS town.
| I LOVE all the Victorian houses in these little towns. |
The Declaration of Sentiments was engraved on this water wall. It was so gorgeous! If you haven't read it in a while, it deserves another look. What a great document.
| Me, next to the wall. |
The museum, though slightly less well organized than we would have liked, was delightful.
| Sojourner Truth |
| Demonstrating negative effects of corset use |
| Comparing average pay between sexes and ethnicities. Sobering. |
We took a stroll downtown, after the museum & tour.
Oh guess what. Seneca Falls is widely believed to be the inspiration for Bedford Falls in the movie, It's a Wonderful Life. They do have a case. There are a lot of similarities, and there are references to Rochester, Elmira, and Buffalo as being nearby cities. The town is so sure they're the real life Bedford Falls they've made a museum!
| Cute boat on the canal. |
More It's a Wonderful Life nods.
| Our adorable bed and breakfast roasted their own coffee beans! |
I got thoughtful, after all the history and all the scenery. We look at the details of peoples' lives from 150 years ago, and the distance makes them interesting. An ordinary day, or a boring day, or a vexing day for the subjects of our study, we look at them through this halo of History. It's almost the same as gazing across a body of water at the land beyond.
When you look at villages atop mountains, or the towns we can see from an airplane, or hazy land across the water, the sight has such a glamour. We think, oh how tranquil! I want to go there.
And for all we know, there is someone gazing up at the airplane, or down the mountain, or back at us across the water thinking, I want to go there! How delightful it looks.
So I don't know. Either neither place is really extraordinary, and nothing really is, or everything- everything- is extraordinary. Worthy of an audience.
This morning certainly was.
| I hate how pregnant I look here. I assure you, we have nothing to announce. |

I am so glad you got to enjoy a much-deserved, romantic, thoughtful get-away.
ReplyDelete