Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Guatemala esta adelante!

"Here I am! Working with-" 

Our last day in Guatemala was all business. We woke up intently focused on our morning mission: shopping. This was our one chance at the handcraft market!

The president's house in Ciudad Guatemala. Signs read, "Guatemala is up ahead!"
We had two hours to get everything on everyone's list, and Brian thought it best that we stay together. We were, understandably, very focused, and few pictures were taken. But this is what the underground market we visited looked like:

Shop after shop had beautiful beautiful things for an extremely reasonable price, due to the very favorable exchange rate between the dollar and the quetzal.

I got items for the kids, for me, for a couple of friends, for the children at Christ Church and for Jon. He got a tortilla maker! I got a Virgin of Guadalupe medal. I do love her.
Sharon got a whole traditional outfit from Guatemala! Maureen got a comal for tortillas. Kim got lovely little things for her daughters. Carrie found the soccer jersey for her son that she was looking for. By 11, we were back in Sister Parish Headquarters and making a last look around for left behind items before leaving for the airport.
"No Olvidamos." Indeed. 
We got the same taxi drivers as we did on the way out! I hugged the one who'd driven me the week before. What a strange, full circle feeling. What a different person I felt.
You better believe I watched Guatemala until I could no longer see it from the airplane window. 
Readers of this blog will remember that shortly before I left, I selected the word, "Laughter" as my 2015 One Word. I believe laughter is good for us, body and soul, and that our boggarts really do flee from it. And I think it represents a kind of letting go and joyful living that I've been reluctant to allow, too often. Once on the plane, after having an introductory conversation with my seatmate (I wouldn't dream of flying next to someone for hours without saying one word to them! She was a Guatemala native on her way to Atlanta for her honeymoon, btw!), I tried to settle in with my book. I brought this intense and profound spiritual book by Richard Rohr called Everything Belongs: The Gift of Contemplative Prayer. And it's fantastic, but really cannot be read in large quantities. After savoring a morsel, I went right back to watching stand-up comedy, just like I did on the plane ride down. On the way down, it was Louis C.K.; on the way back, Bill Mahr. And I just. laughed and laughed my way through the sky. Laughter is happening in 2015. Resolutions should always be this fun to keep. 

At 11pm I walked in the door of our apartment. The kids were asleep, but I regaled Jon with stories; giddy as I was, there would be no sleep for hours. 

In the morning, the kids were quite pleased to see me, somewhat happy to see my pictures, and extremely excited to see what I'd brought them. To come: A picture of Adele in her Guatemalan outfit. By the end of February, ok? 

Also, I brought our family this crèche: 
The angel that doesn't belong was a gift from the committee in SAI


As I'd predicted, I was in church the next day, tired as I was. Miles especially doesn't like to miss church, but after a week apart he wasn't about to go without me. So we went, and I filled the ears of everyone who would listen about our week with our brothers and sisters in Guatemala.
Miles, with his Guatemalan dolls, in his Guatemalan hat, next to the Sister Parish display at church. 

The committee has already met once; we have a date for a presentation to church. I pray not to be extinguished in my zeal for this friendship! Thank you God, that the year of alive committed me to this way of beginning my year of laughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment