Wednesday, January 28, 2015

January. Blacksburg.

Christmas brought us a new camera! Hooray!
We're settling in to this Spring 2015 semester, now! The holidays and the Guatemala trip are actually behind us and we're back in the thick of all our workday endeavors. Miles just celebrated his 100th day of school. Adele has learned to write her name!

I have a new schedule, and lots of new office projects on my radar! Also, I just signed up to resume volunteering at the local Head Start, where I will get to read to a preschooler. The good life!


Blacksburg's sunsets continue to stun
We've had NO measurable snow this year! You probably know exactly how I feel about that.
"Ice Storm" from Saturday
I just want one, at least, one, big, fat, snowstorm. Please just let the kids be able to sled and build a snowman ONCE, Virginia!
The ice is pretty, I suppose


Ok, now that does look enchanted. 
Saturday included TWO birthday parties, one for a friend of Adele's, and one for a friend of Miles'.


Happy 3rd Birthday, Maddie!
I took rather more pictures at the afternoon party, mostly because all the kids were in costume. Oh, also because of the disco/karaoke room:
Lights in the balloons! Dance music and instruments for kids!

Miles was a fairy princess. 

Adele was Elsa (obvs)


We had a bit of tumult in getting the kids dressed and out the door. By their request, I went as a princess too:

The best part was when one awed four year old asked me, sincerely, "Where is your castle??" I told her, "Blacksburg!" I hope she's watching for it. 

Miles' reading ability is improving noticeably. We're nearly finished with Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Jon is reading him How to Train Your Dragon. They're books! Did you know? I didn't! And he's getting books from his school library that he then brings home to read to Adele. 

This is how they kill time while waiting for me to get ready:

Ok, that's when they're in a good mood. At other times, they fight and howl at each other like all other kids. But I like to dwell on the good moods.


It is strange, and good, to be back in a less frantic, more mundane pace. I haven't felt so ordinary since before Advent. This 2015 season after Epiphany has already afforded me more transformative experiences than usual. I may just spend the rest of it treasuring up and pondering gifts I've already received. 

No comments:

Post a Comment